Our commitment to the future
The principals of Armadilla have been actively promoting environmental responsibility for over 30 years. One of their earliest businesses was the manufacture of ecologically friendly mulches and soil improvers. They have won numerous Green Awards and have been active in the promotion of high environmental standards including the European Ecolabel particularly in the hospitality sector. Their own house was opened to the public during European Heritage Days as an exemplar “Ecohouse”.
At the outset the Armadilla was developed to achieve a standard of excellence in design, workmanship, materials and crucially, sustainability. An essential core value of sustainability is longevity – so that the energy and materials consumed in manufacture are spread over an extended period of time. This results in a minimal annual carbon footprint – in contrast to units with a short life span or items with built in obsolescence. Properly maintained, an Armadilla should have a useful life expectancy measured in decades.
The Armadilla has been exhaustively designed to minimise energy in its use for lighting, heating and cooling. The shape is a very efficient use of space avoiding the “cold corners” associated with rectangular rooms. The entire structure including the floor, is covered with high performance close cell insulation keeping heat in on cold days and keeping it cool on hot days. All glazing is naturally double glazed.
Heating is predominantly by electric underfloor heating which provides a comfortable and even warmth at very low energy consumption. Lighting is low energy LED lighting which consumes barely 30 watts when full on. All units are supplied with passive ventilation at the front and rear thus always ensuring gentle natural ventilation. This is backed up by mechanical ventilation and there is the option of an opening window with its unique ventilation position.
The provenance of materials is extremely important in assessing the environmental credentials of a product. All material used in the manufacture of an Armadilla is FSC or PEFC certified or responsibly sourced from local suppliers. Wood treatments and coatings are almost exclusively water based and products with low or no VOC’s used throughout.
Also important is the ability to reclaim and recycle materials at the end of life for reuse in some other function. Everything in the Armadilla is recyclable. The decision to build the units in a factory environment is important in order to achieve the highest efficiency and to minimise waste. This is termed offsite construction and is now widely recognised as the future of the construction industry.
A product with one of the highest carbon footprints is concrete and the Armadilla was designed to minimise or eliminate its requirement for foundations. The Armadilla only requires four (recycled) concrete building blocks to sit on or indeed can be mounted on screw pile foundations.
The Armadilla team believe that we all have a responsibility to care for and protect the environment in which we operate. We are fully committed to improving environmental performance across all of our business activities, and will encourage our business partners and members of the wider community to join us in this effort.
Armadilla recognises our key impacts to be in the areas of:
+ energy use + raw material use + waste generation + water use + transport + procurement
We will strive to:
- Adopt the highest environmental standards in all areas of operation, meeting and exceeding all relevant legislative requirements.
- Assess our organisational activities and identify areas where we can minimise impacts.
- Minimise waste through careful and efficient use of all materials and energy.
- Purchase sustainable products wherever feasible [e.g. recycled, FSC or low environmental impact products and energy from renewable sources].
- Publicise our environmental position.
- Train employees in good environmental practice and encourage employee involvement in environmental action.
- Reduce risks from environmental, health or safety hazards for employees and others in the vicinity of our operations.
- Adopt an environmentally sound transport strategy.
- Aim to include environmental and ethical considerations in investment decisions where appropriate.
- Assist in developing solutions to environmental problems.
- Continually assess the environmental impact of all our operations.